Information for participants
The Kickoff Event
The Kickoff Event will mark the official beginning of the Hackathon and it is scheduled for Friday, 8th of May 2020, at 10:30 – 12:30 EEST in the context of the Internet & Applications course held by the Electrical and Computer Engineering School of National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
During the event, the organizers will present the basic functionalities of the Bloomen H2020 EU project, the topics on which the participants will compete as well as the testbed that is going to be used for the Hackathon. Finally, they will answer any questions regarding the competition. Moreover, a dedicated Slack channel is created in order to publish information and also to respond to any further questions about the Hackathon.
The Info Event
The Info Event will be a follow-up event with main and essential information, inputs and advice on the bleeding edge technology of blockchain in the industry in order to motivate and inspire the interested participants on the topic. It is scheduled for Tuesday, 12th of May 2020, at 16:00 – 17:30 EEST. During the event, there will be totally four presentations, an introductory one, providing the general concept and perspective, and three use case specific ones, analyzing dissimilar instances currently in the industry:
| Time (EEST)
||Toni Paradell & Antonis Litke
||Worldline & ICCS of NTUA
Bloomen Project Picture.
Bloomen Hackathon Concept.
||Bloomen Photo: Advance Photojournalism.
||Bloomen Music: Lift Claims Management and Resolution.
||Bloomen Video: Improve Over-The-Top Media Services.
The Global Event
The Global Event, being part of the broader Bloomen Week, will let the participant teams present their work and announce the Winner Team as it will be the final event of the Hackathon. It is a two-day event scheduled for Thursday, 28th of May 2020, at 17:00 – 19:00 EEST and Friday, 29th of May 2020, at 17:00 – 19:00 EEST.
||Present their project and inspiration.
Q&A on their project.
||End of 1st day.
||Present their project and inspiration.
Q&A on their project.
||Private consortium session for voting the best, most efficient and intelligent project.
||ICCS of NTUA & Winner Team
||Award Ceremony including:
- Disclosure of Winner Team.
- The Winner Team speaks about their project and the Bloomen Hackathon experience.
||End of 2nd day.
(*) Please be aware that with regard to the number of the participant teams, time will be allocated accordingly for joining an entertaining event.
VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE THAT BECAUSE THE HACKATHON HAS TWO DAYS YOU NEED TO REGISTER SEPARATELY FOR EACH DAY. LINKS WILL BE PROVIDED BEFORE THE EVENT.
The Development Proposal
The proposed development area of the Hackathon is focused on, but not limited to, how Blockchain technology can be applied in the modern media industry. In particular, the workflow could contain the action points below:
- Create a functional user interface (UI) where users can interact with the blockchain; i.e. submit transactions or trigger smart contracts with a simple button, e.g. buy a media asset.
- Create a blockchain system (smart contracts or decentralized application) where trade can happen between consumers and media providers; e.g. transfer crypto tokens from consumer’s account to provider’s account while providing the media asset to the consumer.
- For the user interface technologies such as Angular, Typescript, HTML5 and CSS could be used.
- For the user interface connection with the blockchain web3.js library is recommended.
- Solidity is the de-facto programming language for smart contract development while Ganache blockchain is recommended to deploy all smart contracts and potential decentralized applications.
- Dissimilar ideas of blockchain exploitation value are encouraged and considered worthy in this Hackathon even if they exist outside of media industry applications.
Indicative subject for development:
In this section a proposition of various indicative technical approaches for the developments in the context of hackathon are presented. Participants can follow any or none of the technical approaches presented. These guidelines are given in order to help the participants to structure their solution and are not a mandatory and strict course of action.
- Create a functional user interface (UI) where users can upload a photo.
- Generate the hash of the uploaded photo and store it to the blockchain.
- Hint 1: The photo hash can be stored together with any relevant photo metadata, if necessary.
- Hint 2: The actual photo can be stored in a different database in order to be downloaded after the purchase (see following point).
- Ability to purchase the photo from the UI and download it.
- Hint 1: Through smart contract development the photo owner receives the compensation from the consumer’s account while the latter downloads the photo possibly together with its rights of possession.
- Hint 2: The photos can be purchased multiple times and the rights can be distributed to multiple users that have purchased the photo. A record of the purchases should be stored in the blockchain.
- Hint 3: Users should also be able to purchase the photo along with exclusive rights. In this case, the compensation should be greater and the image cannot be purchased by any other user.
Competitors are invited to participate in this Hackathon as individuals, or in teams of maximum 3 persons.
The participating individuals and teams have to submit their project until Friday, 22nd of May 2020, at 23:59 EEST, by sending a registration e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. This e-mail must include:
- Subject: [Bloomen Hackathon]
- The name(s) of the participant(s) and their contact email address
- The source code files attached or an accessible link (e.g. GitHub, GitLab, WeTransfer, Dropbox)
- Detailed instructions on how to use the source code
- A short presentation describing the scenario that was implemented, the process that was followed and any final results.
Again: if it is not possible to attach the source code files, then the registration email shall include external links, like a GitHub/GitLab URL, WeTransfer, Dropbox, etc., pointing to those files.
All the competitors are welcome to join the corresponding slot of the Bloomen Week in order to present their project in the committee and audience. The results of the Hackathon will be announced at the end of the Global Event.
The Winner Team will obtain a Lenovo IdeaPad C340-14API Laptop with Ryzen 3 3200U, RAM 4 GB, SSD 256 GB, and GPU Radeon Vega 3.